Being a parent is one of the most important roles you'll have in life. BMO supports you by providing paid time off to care for and bond with your newest family member.
Here’s a high-level overview of parental leave of absence. For details, review
Your Guide to Parental Leave.
|Taking Parental Leave|
- Fathers, same gender domestic partners and adoptive parents are eligible to take a total of 24 weeks of Parental Leave when a new child arrives.
- To initiate Parental Leave, contact Leave Administration at
1-888-927-7700 to initiate a Parental Leave within 30 days before your child’s birth, adoption or placement date.
- When your child arrives or at the time you choose to start your parental leave, notify Leave Administration within two days to initiate your Parental Leave.
- Parental Leave must be initiated within the 12 weeks following the birth, adoption or placement of your child.
Your pay may be interrupted if you do not promptly report the onset of your leave.
|Pay While on Leave|
First 12 weeks—Fathers, same-gender domestic partners and adoptive parents are eligible to receive 100% salary continuation, for up to 12 weeks.
Second 12 weeks—Fathers, same-gender domestic partners and adoptive parents can take an additional 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave. If you choose to take additional unpaid time, you can supplement your pay using sick or vacation time, if available.
Paid Parental Leave runs concurrently with FML.
- Your benefits coverage will continue during the first 12 weeks of paid Parental Leave. Premiums will continue to be deducted from your pay.
- If you choose to take unpaid Parental Leave, your benefits coverage will continue and you will owe premiums. Your premiums will accumulate in arrears. When you return from leave, your regular deductions will resume and any arrears will be collected at a rate of one additional deduction per pay until your balance is zero.
Backup childcare program
BMO offers 10 days of paid backup childcare per year. To take advantage of this valuable program, register with
Bright Horizons (employer ID: bmofg; pwd: backup).
Your incentive pay
If, during the Incentive Pay plan year, you are on a paid or unpaid leave of absence, any allocated incentive award will be prorated based on actual time worked.